Friday, October 29, 2010

Lies, Damn Lies - and Statistics

Fiddler's Edge began its run in April of this year. My goal, then as now, is to create content that's interesting for me to write, resonates with you the readership, and fills a niche in the Eve blogosphere. That last is particularly important as said blogosphere is exceedingly vast and includes some very talented writers. It's easy to get lost in the crowd.

At the outset, I took a few months to let Fiddler's Edge settle into a pattern and direction. Then I began collecting web statistics. Five months later I now have a pile of data points and some interesting trends show up.

Needless to say, the Edge isn't burning up the net. However that was expected. The Edge focuses primarily on metagame analysis, which somewhat limits its audience. My pieces tend to not be the short, punchy, visually stimulating content that easily entertains - the classic model for the successful blog. As I write in The Rise of the Carebears:
It seems I'm sending invites to high tea in a world of rave parties.
But that's OK. There are plenty of rave parties out there and I'm happy to let them compete for that audience. My target audience is the capsuleer hungry for some depth in their Eve content. If there's a mission statement for Fiddler's Edge, it comes from Rise of the Carebears as well:
I've assumed you read the Edge for its thoughtful analysis, daring prose, deep insights, and its tendency to use words not writ nor spoken conversationally since Middle English went out of fashion.
I trust my readers.
Well, the numbers for High Tea With Mord are in. The audience and hit count for Fiddler's Edge doubled during September and have continued to grow during October. I'm particularly pleased with how many of you take the trouble to read through the Edge's back issues. That suggests my scribblings continue to be useful and worth reading for some time after their original posting.

I am encouraged to continue.

I get a smile or two out of looking at the "by country" audience statistics. The US and UK lead the list, which is no surprise. However it was interesting to learn Fiddler's Edge is more popular in Australia than it is in Canada (I'll have to ask Kirith what that's all about). A surprising number of hits from New Zealand have begun popping up in the last month, and the Edge regularly pulls in readers from Scandinavia. The articles on the Drone regions have caught the attention of readers from Eastern Europe and Russia, and I appear to have a regular reader from Saudi Arabia.

Shout outs to all y'all, and thanks for reading.


Fiddlers Note: Special thanks to Mynxee, an early encourager. Her Life In Low Sec continues to be linkage central for Fiddler's Edge and many other Eve sites. The same to Crazy Kinux who is chief enabler and lead cheer-leader for Eve bloggers everywhere. 

9 comments:

  1. Just so you know, a German pod pilot posted a link to this blog on our alliance forums a couple weeks ago and several of alliance mates are now readers. Thanks and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are an increasing number of New Zealanders playing Eve it seems. I've met a few of them when I log in on an early morning. Most of my readers are also US, UK but I also have a few Eastern European and Scandinavian viewers.
    I like hearing about where people get their readers from, and comparing them to my own.
    Fly Safe and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great blog, one of my favourites. As for why Canadian numbers are so low, I blame general incompetence. Australians are far superior overall. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't always agree with Fiddler's Edge, but it's always well written, informative and entertaining to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to be a supporter and "early adopter" my dear. Yours is one of my favorite blogs...top 5, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Top blogs (in order of enjoyment):
    http://fiddlersedge.blogspot.com
    http://lifeinlowsec.blogspot.com
    http://manasi.eveplayer.net
    http://paritybit.wordpress.com (when he is on the topic of game mechanics)
    http://treborofthecsm.blogspot.com (post m0ar!)
    http://www.machine9.net/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's obviously all about the quality of the banner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Reader from Saudi Arabia Approves

    ReplyDelete