Friday, January 14, 2011

Game Face - Eve Blog Banter #24

Welcome to the twenty-fourth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!

This month's Banter topic comes to us from the ever helpful Eelis Kiy, capsuleer behind the "Where the frack is my ship" blog. She asks: How does your real life personality compare to who you are as a character in EVE? Does a good leader of people in the real world make a good leader of pilots in game? Or vice-versa? Do your real-life skills help you with the roles you fulfill in your corporation or alliance? Or do you behave completely differently? Does the anonymity of the Internet allow you to thrive on the tears of others in New Eden whilst you work as a good Samaritan away from your keyboard? Or are you as mean outside of your pod as you are inside it? Have experiences in EVE Online affected your behavior, skills or attitudes outside of the game?

I look to my right, at the four books immediately to hand. They are Design Patterns by the Gang of Four, UML 2.0, Herodotus' Histories and the Journal of Late Antiquity.

Further down the shelf, it's a jumble of archaeology, psychology, econ, and assortment of IT books and journals. There is fiction of both the literary and science fiction/fantasy genres. Rushdie's Midnight's Children rubs shoulders with Zelazney's The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth. Jonathan Franzen's Freedom leans against one of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files novels.

Real life, for me, is a bit of an eclectic circus. My virtual life in New Eden is much the same.

That's, to some extent, the pleasure of the Eve sandbox. The game doesn't begin at point x and end at point y. I am allowed to wander, to make my own path. As a result, there's always something new to try. I have lived in all seven types of Eve Space (yes, there are at least seven. More on that another time) and tried my hand at most of the various Eve professions.

As a more (ahem) mature player, I bring that maturity into the game with me. I take a somewhat type B approach to New Eden. That doesn't mean I'm passive, it means when a fight occurs I prefer it occur on my terms. When a fight on unfavorable terms is pressed on me, I remain patient, often leveraging the enemy's impatience to temporize my way out of a tight corner. I try not to hold grudges - life, as they say, is too short. However, when I must, I try to be thorough about it. I have a very short revenge list, but I keep it up to date and close tabs on those players who are on it.

On the other hand, I play the game for fun. That means that I will never, ever be a galactic overlord. Galactic overlording is hard work, and the work involved is too much like my day job. After a day of being a responsible citizen,  people manager and keeper of the world's digital plumbing, I've no interest in coming home to administer a vast interstellar empire. A bit of PvP or mucking about with the lads in local is often just the thing to knit up the unravelled sleeve of cares at the end of a long day.

After all, I'm here to play.


Other Eve blog sites bantering on this topic:

Evoganda
mikeazariah
roc's ramblings
Freebooted
A Mule In Eve
Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
where the frack is my ship?
CrazyKinux
prano's journey
Drifting Through the Stars
Victoria Aut Mors
The Durzo Chronicles
Captain Serenity
Confessions of a Closet Carebear 
The Phoenix Diaries 
Yarrbear Tales
The Hydrostatic Capsule

2 comments: