Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fiddler's Return

There are opportunity costs to writing.  Time spent writing a story, or a blog or even a tweet can't be spent on another project. Despite a number of dedicated readers who are all generous with their feedback, one sometimes sits on this side of the blogging software and wonders if what you're writing matters, or if your words disappear into the digital abyss once they've passed through that small circle of friends. All the while, other projects beckon.

In deciding to close up Fiddler's Edge, a key consideration was whether or not the blog delivered - whether it stood out in what is, after all, a field crowded with talent. I'm aware, as I've mentioned elsewhere, that Fiddler's Edge is a bit of an outlier when it comes to blogs - high tea in a world of digital rave parties. As Parity Bit suggested in a recent post, I was very much of two minds with regard to continuing The Edge, and used Crazy's selection process as a tie-breaker. And I have to apologize to Crazy (with a C) if disclosing that has caused him any grief. I couldn't do what he does so well and have a lot of respect for his contributions to the Eve player community. 

I expected Fiddler's Edge to quickly sink without much of a trace, so the reader response caught me by surprise. Then, this morning I received an email from CK, mirroring his very generous blog post

You all have me, as they say, at a disadvantage.

So, I'll hunt down the key and reopen the offices at the Fiddler's Edge think tank. Jenny has, alas, moved on, but you'll be hearing from her by way of her larger stage. Posts will likely be less frequent as I owe time to those other projects I've mentioned and Fiddler's Edge will eventually merge with the larger web site I described. However, I'll keep door open, the lights on and do my best to justify your kind support.

Once more, with feeling: Fiat lux.

25 comments:

  1. I am pleasantly surprised to read this post.
    Welcome back, clean the dust in your offices, and go write us some deep and interesting analysis... :)

    Welcome back sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And another thing, that banner is just too good to go to waste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am surprized and pleased to read you are reopening the office. Welcome back!

    o7

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back - at least I don't have to wonder "was it my deodorant?".

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was with much sadness I read you were closing up shop.
    Very very glad you've reconsidered, sir.
    Congratulations on your new blog pack status.
    I look forward to your thoughtful and in-depth posts!

    One of your many avid followers,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life and the stars realign, most properly. Welcome back, sir ... welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! This is the best of news this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I even washed AND shaved...was that all it took? LOL WB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Riddlers Edge returning makes the baby Jebus smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I'm imagining all of Mord's ships colored bright green and covered in question marks.

    "Now you'll have to match wits with the Fiddler!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great!
    This blog is by far my favourite eve blog and I don't have anything to do with 0.0 any more prefering the haunts of WH space.

    So well written and a brilliant read. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice that you reconsidered.
    I was so gonna mis this blog, if there is anythign that we can do to help you please let us know i bet more peeps then just me are willing to do help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's about time. Get back to work you lazy oaf.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You apparently suck at being retired... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Huzzah huzzah,

    It appears that CK's cheque was in the mail.

    I will not extend the punchline.

    m

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back sir, it's good to have you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent news! I Look forward to your continued postings :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. MadOverlord said...

    'You apparently suck at being retired... :)'


    Heh. This is one Brett Favre-style retirement I approve of.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You, Sir, have made my day! Thanks for hearing me out and changing your mind. Looking forward to reading your blog years into the future...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I came late to the party!

    Thrilled that you have returned. Like I've said, your blog's depth and quality of analysis is unmatched, and that's why it's irreplaceable. My favorite Eve blog is back!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so relieved to read this news. Thank you Mord.

    ReplyDelete